Pages

First Week Of The Year Hard, Solid Thinking

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."  Rev. Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

That may be true of some people, but not me.

I like to engage in on a regular basis as Dr. King called it hard, solid thinking and January 1st appearing on the calendar always seems to puts me in hard solid thinking mode during the first week or two of the new year.

Maybe it's because the start of a new year traditionally represents a new beginning a fresh start for a person and I daresay causes and organizations as well.   

That first week or two of the new year is when I reassess my own life and make the necessary changes to improve it.   The reassessment also has me considering my thoughts, attitudes and beliefs about various issues and causes I'm concerned about.

I try to look at them with the previous years experiences in mind, add new evidence that either reinforces or calls into question my world view and discuss and debate it with input from other thoughtful people as well.

The beginning of the year hard solid thinking me has also included some introspection on trans issues.  As many of us know all too well, being trans is not an issue that you can boil down to a catchphrase or try to explain in 30 seconds or less.  It is a nuanced subject at times and with ongoing research happening we gain more medical evidence backing up some of the things we anecdotally talk about in the community on a regular basis.

Frankly, I enjoy engaing in hard solid thinking about a wide variety of subjects at regular intervals.   It ensures that when I start writing posts on this blog or I'm debating issues online I know what the hell I'm talking about and I have a high degree of certainty that what I'm articulating is accurate.  

I know that many of you count on me to be informative, accurate and love my tell it like it T-I-S is style in doing so.  I never forget that and it's why sometimes you'll see me back away from the blog for a day to have hard, solid thinking days or even hard, solid thinking weekends.

As we get deeper into 2012, you'll get to see the results of that hard,solid thinking on these electronic pages.and I hope it inspires you to do some hard, solid thinking of your own.